Key areas of practice: Corporate | Litigation
Maarten Drop advises Dutch holdings of foreign companies, financial institutions, trust companies and supervisory and management board members on liability issues, financing and acquisitions. Maarten is an experienced adviser on corporate transactions and an accomplished litigator in arbitration and in proceedings before the courts, with a focus on international corporate disputes. In international arbitrations he acts both as arbitrator as well as counsel before, among others, the ICC, NAI, DIS and LCIA. Additionally Maarten has experience as liquidator and as a court-appointed receiver of Dutch holding companies.
Before setting up Cleber with Bart Voorvaart in 2004, Maarten worked for ten years in the international corporate and litigation practices of Trenité van Doorne.
Maarten skillfully navigates clients through complex matters and political sensitivities. With his multilingual skillset and his knowledge of foreign cultures, he builds bridges between the various parties involved in a case. Maarten’s sharp intellect and ability to understand the world his clients operate in, offer a solid foundation for long-term relations with many of his clients.
- Litigation Funding 2017: Netherlands (in: S. Friel en J. Barnes (eds.), Litigation Funding 2017, Getting The Deal Through Series, Law Business Research: 2016, p. 42-44)
- Dutch law at the University of Amsterdam (1991)
- Traineeships at law firms in Verona, Milan and New York (1989-1991)
- Insolvency (1998), Financing and Security Law (2004) at Grotius Academy – post graduate courses
Dutch, Italian, German, French, English and Spanish
- Union Internationale des Avocats
- Deutscher Anwaltverein (DAV) – buitengewoon lid
- Deutsche Institution für Schiedsgerichtsbarkeit (DIS)
- International Commission American Bar Association (ABA)
- Associazione Internazionale Giuristi di Lingua Italiana (AIGLI)
- Vereniging Corporate Litigation
- Nederlandse Vereniging voor Rechtsvergelijkend en Internationaal Insolventierecht (NVRII)
Corporate | Litigation