Dr Niek Peters
Key areas of practice: Litigation
Dr Niek Peters acts as counsel, arbitrator and binding advisor. As counsel he assists clients in (international) arbitrations and court proceedings in commercial and corporate disputes, including disputes on mergers and acquisitions, commercial contracts, directors’ liability and professional liability. He also has extensive experience in the enforcement of foreign court decisions as well as arbitral awards and he acts in proceedings before the state courts in arbitration related matters, such as the annulment of arbitral awards. Niek is also regularly approached in connection with investment disputes.
Niek wrote his dissertation on the confluence of private international law, procedural law and arbitration and subsequently published the book “The fundamentals of international commercial arbitration”. Niek also publishes in specialist journals in the field of arbitration, conflict of laws and liability law. Since 2008, he has been teaching the course “international commercial disputes settlement law” at the University of Groningen. Moreover, he often speaks at national and international conferences.
Niek has a sharp eye for the commercial interests of his clients. He gets to the core of the dispute quickly, is keen on finding pragmatic solutions and has a good understanding of the financial aspects of a dispute. Before joining Cleber in 2015, he worked at a US firm in Amsterdam and a niche firm in Brussels specialised in international arbitration.
- The fundamentals of international commercial arbitration, Maklu 2017
- Dispute Resolution 2017: Netherlands (in: S. Lamb (ed.), Dispute Resolution 2017, Getting The Deal Through Series, Law Business Research: 2017)
- Het belang van de plaats van arbitrage voor het toepasselijke recht (The importance of the seat of arbitration for the applicable law), Bb 2017/3, p. 41-46
- Litigation Funding 2017: Netherlands (in: S. Friel en J. Barnes (eds.), Litigation Funding 2017, Getting The Deal Through Series, Law Business Research: 2016)
- Remission in de nieuwe arbitragewet (Remission in the new Arbitration Act), TCR 2013/4, p. 117-127
- De Europese stichting: terug naar de tekentafel (The European Foundation: Back to the drawing board), NtER 2013/3, p. 93-101
- De (on)bevoegdheid van het Gerechtshof Amsterdam in WCAM-zaken (The (lack of) jurisdiction of the Amsterdam Court of Appeal in Collective Settlement Actions), NIPR 2013/1, p. 3-12
- De Wet collectieve afwikkeling massaschade: wat is zij waard in het buitenland? (The Collective Settlement Actions Act: What is its value abroad?), NTBR2013/2
- Artikel 6:166 BW: onbekend maakt onbemind? (Article 6:166 DCC: Unknown, unloved?), AV&S 2012/21
- Vernietiging van arbitrale vonnissen door ad-hocscheidsgerechten, is dat niet vernieuwend? (Annulment of arbitral awards by ad hoc tribunals, isn’t that innovative?), in: Piet Sanders: een honderdjarige vernieuwer, 2012, p. 217-223
- International law and Dutch law at Erasmus University Rotterdam (2004)
- International law at the University of Copenhagen (2002)
Dutch and English
- Vereniging Corporate Litigation
- Nederlandse Vereniging voor Procesrecht (NVvP)
- Koninklijke Nederlandse Vereniging voor Internationaal Recht (KNVIR)
- International Law Association (ILA)
Corporate | Litigation